Thursday, June 7, 2012

COTTAGE GARDEN CHALLENGES!

This particular bed is in front of our deck facing north into my back perennial beds.  I wanted something that would fill the space so that the base of the deck would be hidden.  Hidden it is!  I knew when I planted the Bishops Weed that it was very aggressive, I felt I could manage that pretty easily as the bed is bordered by flagstone walkways so it would be confined in that respect.  What I didn't count on however, was the prolific growth from my Ladys Mantle and Loosestrife.  The war is truly on!  The Loosestrife is growing in leaps and bounds, the Ladys Mantle has reseeded excessively even though I clipped all foliage before it went to seed last fall and dug up all early volunteers this spring.  Oh, my.  I have managed to get things under control for now.  In this same bed I have 2 of the species hydrangea Hills of Snow as well as a La Traviata rose and a couple of peonies (that will have to be moved elsewhere this fall) and a few boxwoods dotted along.  The Phlox that is planted closest to the flagstone edge will have to protected carefully.  I love the look of this bed, it has a charming untended look to it.  It will be our little secret that  the carefree cottage style is low maintenance, when in fact it is exactly the opposite. 



No comments:

Post a Comment