Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER

August is upon us all and in the gardening world it means different things in different areas to different gardeners. As I have mentioned before we had a very cool summer this year but August is what it is and the plants all seem to stall and go into a holding pattern before giving in to autumn.  I too change my focus;  less watering, minimal deadheading, less weeding. I do however deep water my roses and young trees.  Time to gather like crazy (hopefully) from the vegie garden and see to the excessive zucchini crop, pole beans and lettuce.  Still eagerly awaiting the first ripe tomato (I know... it is the end of August) and cucumbers.  Slugs played havoc with my beds this year and all had to be planted twice, losing precious growing time.  Slugs also managed to eat every one of my much desired Walla Walla Sweet onions. Sad.  I am already composting that bed.  C'est la vie.  So I will take advantage of these "dog days of summer",  and take on some much needed painting projects and start my mental list of the fall projects ahead of me.  I am also being careful to take time to soak in the last weeks of the "blooms in my beds".  Echinacea, Hollyhocks, Loosestrife and Gaura to name a few.



No comments:

Post a Comment