Tuesday, August 23, 2011

APPLE ANNIE

One never knows about fruit trees.  Will the conditions be right for a bountiful harvest or will there be any fruit at all?  I have no idea what the secrets to a successful harvest are, one year we have 0-12 apples on each tree (Yellow Delicious, Granny Smith) the next we have so many it is difficult to figure out just what to do with all of them.  This year the Yellow Delicious (not a great "eating" apple) sprang forth with abundance and they began falling to the ground.  I gathered up the ones on the ground and took them to the barn where my horses are and all had a good treat.  I picked the rest (totaling close to 300) and spent several hours turning them into applesauce.  I have never made applesauce before but with the aid of the ever handy sieve attachment (that I borrowed from a friend) for my KitchenAid it was actually very simple. Not sure if we will eat 24 jars of applesauce, but I am thinking apple butter would be very yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment