Tuesday, July 19, 2011

RASPBERRIES RULE

We have a bumper crop of both Golden and Red Raspberries this year.  I don't know if it's the excessive rain or if the bushes have just finally matured.  The berries are large and juicy.  I had two gallon ziplocks in the freezer from last year and decided it was time to make jam.  I haven't made raspberry jam before, just strawberry and pear jam.  Speaking of pear jam, it is to die for.  I use a recipe that was given to me by my mother in law.  But again, I digress, back to raspberry jam.  I managed to get 40 jars in assorted sizes. I can't imagine we will go through all of that in one year so I plan on giving plenty of it away as gifts.  I must say it turned out delicious.  Nothing beats homemade preserves.  There are many, many more berries left on the bushes.  I haven't decided if I will freeze them or make more jam.  I'm sure I will give some of them away as well.  Here's hoping your berries are producing profusely.  Happy canning!

No comments:

Post a Comment