Friday, November 19, 2010

AUTUMN DAYS

Autumn seemed to come and go far too quickly this year.  I was able to get most of my "to do's" done, but there are a few left unfinished.  Unfortunately, a couple of unexpected events on behalf of mother nature have taken place and created even more work.  A tree fell on my cottage, where I will have my gift shoppe and floral design studio, but fortunately no damage was done.  Then, for some unknown reason the majority of the posts in my cutting garden fence have rotted underground and two of the four sides have fallen down.  Needless to say, I can't ask my husband to rebuild that large fence so we have opted to eliminate the fence completely with a front facade only, where I have some climbing roses growing.  Time for a new plan for the perimeter of the cutting garden.  I'm contemplating large old garden roses, wigelia and lilacs to create a natural wall and this will also entice even more feathered friends.  I managed to get a couple of pics of the beautiful autumn we had.  Below is one of the Wigelia in full fall colors, and a shot of one of our very old maple trees that somewhere early in its life had to grow sideways in order to reach up towards the sun.  As I write this post it is clear that autumn is leaving and winter is arriving.  Very blustery and on the chilly side outside.  I have many, many leaves left to rake and may end up doing it in the rain.  Thats life in the Pacific Northwest/ 

1 comment:

  1. Such a shame to hear about your fence ... but I so like the sound of your new idea for the perimeter your cutting garden. Roses, Weigela and Lilacs sounds gorgeous. Luckily there was no damage from that falling tree!!!

    Your Fall photos are lovely ... the Weigela does look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete