Monday, August 9, 2010

CLAMORING CLEMATIS





























































This is an extra pretty clematis that I acquired at a local independent nursery located in an obscure area in Brush Prarie, Washington which is just down the road from my house called Collectors Nursery.  They seem to focus on shade loving and unusual plant varieties.  The only sign they have is a mailbox on the road with their name painted on it.  Every once in awhile they will have a small wagon up front with end of season deals.  One year I purchased Hellebores in gallon pots for $6.00 each, which is a steal.  Their website is collectorsnursery.com.  You should check it out.
As for this clematis that I purchased from them about 6 years ago, I cut it to the ground every spring and it grows like crazy, filling an entire corner of this particular bed and as you can see rambles all over the picket fence.  Visitors often comment on its beauty and prolific growth.  I have no idea what the name of it is (as is typical with me), all I know is that it is definitely one of my favorites.


I feel the need to put a question out there to anyone who reads this blog, no response necessary, just a little something to think about.  Am I the only gardener out there who is possessive of their plants?  I have a friend who stopped by the other day and as we were wandering around the beds, she would randomly pull a weed here and there, okay great if you want to do the dirty work for me.  But then, she began rearranging the above featured clematis along the fenceline. I instantly felt the hair stand up on the back of my neck!  I had to refrain from saying what I was actually thinking which was, "what do you think you are doing? Stop rearranging my clematis!"  Then after she left I began questioning myself and wondering if I am completely obsessive or what?  I do know that if I ever hired anyone to do any work around here it would not be weeding or trimming.  I would spend far too much time hovering over them making sure they didn't pull out something they shouldn't as some of my plants are a little wild looking. I had this conversation with my husband, and because he knows me so well, assured me that I was indeed obsessive and possessive about my plants.  To me it is in the same category as someone coming into your home and randomly rearranging the furniture without being invited to do so!  They truly are my babies, anyone is invited to enjoy, smell, touch, and certainly cut from the cutting garden (which I am finding is a difficult task for to bring myself to do, and my daughter has to keep reminding me that it is indeed a CUTTING GARDEN!!)  

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful garden!! I also love the name of your blog.

    I am on a mission to find and follow 10 new interesting blogs a day for a month.

    I am your new follower and hope you can stop over to my blog and follow me back.
    My Journey With Candida
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures of your garden! I hear what you are saying about someone trying to rearrange your plants. I wouldn't like it too! You are absolutely right. Happy gardening and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your clematis and gooseneck loosestrife are beautiful!! As far as people bothering your plants goes, I'm a bit the same way, unless they are deadheading, weeding, watering, or mulching!!

    ReplyDelete