Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bleeding Hearts

Bleeding Hearts (Dicentra - dy-SEN-tra).  A beautiful heirloom woodland perennial that has been popular in gardens for centuries.  The name of bleeding hearts typifies the unique flowers, which resemble pink hearts with drops of blood dangling from their tips.  They are yet another one of my many favorites. They are so beautiful, delicate and unusual. They are most content  in the light shade of a woodland garden. Paired with ferns, wild bleeding hearts and hostas they create a lovely contrast of size and shape. The beloved bleeding heart blooms with the tulips and daffodils much to the delight of all gardeners anxious for the gardening season to begin.

6 comments:

  1. I love these plants, and just noticed some growing in the side yard of the house I just bought. I wonder when might be a good time to transplant them? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard not to love these graceful plants. I just planted a pink one and a white one last fall and they are starting to grow wonderfully. I hope to see some blooms soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered shy they were shaped that way. It seems like such a specific shape, like orchids, could it be for some special purpose?

    Love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favourite plants ever, but I have enormous difficulty getting it in Australia - I'm not sure why. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait til my bleeding hearts are up and growing. Just have to get rid of some of this snow!

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. I have some in white. But, as of yet the flowers haven't started in my South Dakota Garden - Gloria

    ReplyDelete