Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Delights!

Wild Trillium ( Trilllium grandiflorum),also known as wake-robin or birthroot.  I am fortunate enough to have these beautiful native wild flowers growing on my property in the shady wooded areas. It is illegal in a few states (Washington being one of them) to pick or transplant trillium as it is a protected wildflower.  Once the flower is picked it can take many years to recover. The plants have a perennial rootstock that was used medicinally by both Native Americans and early colonists.  It is always such a delight to see them pop up here and there.  Over the years we have had more show up each spring.  This is my largest grouping so far.  I am a little fearful for it's safety as the Hellebores seem to be creeping in.  I will have to take care of that this fall when the Trillium are dormant.

4 comments:

  1. I love Trillium. We have Trillium ovatum growing here. Their blooms are all too brief in spring, but such a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sue, Would that my Trillium grandiflorum looked as yours. Sadly, for me, there is a world [or at least the Atlantic] of difference - mine can hardly be described as clumps.

    I have enjoyed reading through your postings. You have obviously taken on a major project but are clearly making progress. I shall look forward to reading about future developments. In the meantime, a very happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Trilllium grandiflorum look beautiful in the woodland setting. I planted some two years ago, that just came up last year, after I had added more plants. Perhaps this year I'll see them all flower. After removing the winter mulch this week, it looks like the bloodroot are just popping out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a real beauty ... I just adore white in the garden and these are such a lovely native wildflower. You're so lucky to have this growing on your property!

    ReplyDelete